Saturday, January 30, 2010

Blog Prompt for February 3rd

Chapter 2, “Theoretical Approaches to Gender Development,” may seem dense and complex to you if these ideas are somewhat new to you. I caution you to not get “hung up” in the details of each of the theoretical approaches mentioned. It is most important that you have an overview of the various theoretical approaches and that you understand that, although you may find one more appealing than others, no single theory alone can explain gender development entirely.

Prompt: How can you weave together two or more of the theoretical approaches Wood describes to explain the way you believe gender develops?

15 comments:

  1. Our brain, body, culture, and environment constitute an infinitely complex series of feedback loops. While Woods warns us again the dangers of essentializing (reducing to essential parts to make a generalization) in dealing with unique human beings, essentializing is one of the most powerful tools used by scientists to gain an understanding of complex systems. One must understand that even the most vigorous scientific proponent of any of the following theories recognizes that no one theory is capable of explaining the complete system. Each of the theories outlined in Chapter 2 works to explain human behavior in the single scientific context of the researcher(s). My belief is that the biological theories (sex chromosomes, hormones, and brain structure and use) are by far the most influential and determinant components of our behavior. Everything comes back to biology and its interactions with outside stimuli, which then determines how our brain and body develops, which then changes how we interact with stimuli, which then changes how our brain and body develops . . . Every one of the theories discussed by Woods (with the exception of the Critical theories of gender – these theories describe social constructs and make suggestions for changing those constructs) give us valid insights into the development and internalization of our gender identity within the limited flexibility allowed us by biology. I am not personally terribly fond of the Mother as central to mental health theories of Freud and Psychodynamics, and have read studies that indicate it is human love and connection a child needs, not a direct model or foil to develop “normally”. Having taught young children, I have seen the exploration of gender roles and the severe policing of “what girls do” and “what boys do” by the children themselves and have seen them look for these clues in the behavior or other adults, older children, and in the media. So my personal experience resonates with the social learning theory and the cognitive development theory (this search for societal norms also fits with the cultural theories). And lastly, I feel that an understanding and personal exploration of standpoint theory is necessary if we are ever going to be able change the unfair power dynamics of our country. As a future teacher, it is very important that I continue my efforts to earn standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week’s reading showed how various theories interact and influence the development of an individual’s gender. Woods emphasized the importance of the limitations and strengths of each theory and how they “fit together to provide a richly layered account of how we become gendered”.

    Reading the chapter I personally agree with the significant role that that the Biological theory can play with the development of gender. The hormones which the body produces have a significant influence on the development of the body and the brain. Woods refers to the findings made by various studies in the effects of hormones on different aspects of development including non verbal communication and cognitive development. The Biological theory gives us a very general description of the genetics and the physiological qualities of men and woman and is not a description of an individual.

    Cultural theories also play a significant role in the development of gender. I believe that many individuals strongly identify with their cultures and different cultures in turn have different views on gender. Individuals grow up within this belief system and are exposed to certain expectations. I also believe that there are so many sub cultures that exist within theses cultures and each have their own “expectations and values about the sexes” (pg. 58). Something that is socially acceptable for a person from a certain culture is not always acceptable in another culture.

    It is very clear that the development of gender is not limited to a single theory, but rather a combination of the various thoughts. Personally I feel that we can use these theories to discuss the foundations for the development of gender in general, but not for the development of an individual’s gender. The different theories play different roles in the development of gender. In other words my cultural influences may play a more significant role in my gender development than it would for somebody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woods begins with biological theories of gender behavior: 1) the contributions and influence of the sex chromosomes, 2) behavior determined or influenced by hormones, and 3) the thinking and emotional decision making affected by the structural and functional differences in men’s and women’s brains. Her next focus is on interpersonal theories of behavior. Psychodymanic theory tells us that we develop our gender identity within the context of our relationships, most especially, with our mother. This theory maintains that our gender “identity formed in infancy is fundamental” (pg. 50). The social learning theory asserts a “monkey see-monkey do” framework for gender development with children (and adults) as relatively passive responders to negative or positive feedback who adjust their behavior accordingly. This theory (as do all the others) acknowledges the basic contributions of biology, “Although each of us is born with certain inclinations, it is our social world that amplifies or tones down those inclinations” (pg. 51). Cognitive development theory explains that children begin to understand gender constancy (that their identification as a boy or girls is permanent) about age three. At that point children begin actively looking for clues as to what being a girl or boy means and work to perfect their performance of boy or girl based on those discoveries. Cultural theories of gender deal with how the individual performs gender within the context of the expectations of the larger society as demonstrated by the individual. Anthropology studies show that the Western expectations for manly behaviors are not consistent around the world and Woods gives several examples of societies where individuals outside of the majority are celebrated, like the “two-spirit” people in some Native American groups. Symbolic interactionism addresses the idea of “role” in the expression of gender, “A role is a set of expected behaviors and the values associated with them” (pg. 57). In this theory we are subjected to labels based on our set of behaviors (or roles) and that how we identify ourselves as individuals is of less importance than of how society labels us. [This does not relate to gender, but is relevant. My husband’s grandfather was a Jew. My husband does not practice Judaism, nor does he identify as Jewish. Several years ago, we were at the holocaust museum and saw a flow-chart used by the Nazis to determine whether or not you were a Jew. Based on the chart, my husband was Jewish enough to be sentenced to death. Whether or not he thought he was a Jew was irrelevant.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, Woods introduces two Critical theories of gender, standpoint theory and queer performative theory. These differ from the previous theories in that their primary goal is not to objectively examine and explain processes and systems. They seek to create awareness of social dynamics with the express purpose to change those dynamics, “critical theories have political edge” (pg. 58). Standpoint theory points out that we are all viewing the world from our own perspective created by our race, economic status, sex, gender, etc. This combination of factors assigns our social location, but standpoint is “earned through critical reflection on power relations and through engaging in the struggle required to construct an oppositional stance” (pg. 59). Standpoint theory points out that people in a power position have no incentive to try to understand the experience of those without power. Because of this dynamic, standpoint theorists assert that in order to survive, subordinate groups “have to understand both their own perspective and the viewpoints of those who have more power” (pg 59). Woods gives the example of “maternal instinct” in the context of this theory. Women behave in nurturing ways because their “location” in caregiving roles gives them standpoint, and that men who find themselves in the same “location” learn to nurture by doing. Queer performative theory defines gender as an active performance and works to make this performance a conscious choice. Queer in this context means anything that is outside of the norms of society. Queer theory encourages people to actively challenge gender expectations of what is normal and thereby broaden the definition of normal behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Studies state that children’s brains from birth to ages 5 and 6 act as sponges, absorbing knowledge and ideas from their surroundings. Like Wood says, intimate relationships between mother and daughter and mother and son, influence a child’s gender. A mother’s closeness with a daughter causes her to identify with similar traits of her mother, and distance from a mother to her son, causes him to become independent and identify towards masculinity. But not only do mother’s and other dynamic relationships shape children’s identity, the media and culture affect children’s choices and identity as well.
    My overall belief and understanding of the development of gender relies on the principals that Wood classifies as Psychological Theories. First, is the theory of social learning theory; individuals learn to be either masculine or feminine by imitating others and getting responses from others to their behaviors. Parents and teachers own a large responsibility in children’s choices to be either masculine or feminine. It starts from birth, parents with daughters buy dolls, and items with the colors pink and purple, colors deemed feminine. While parents with sons buy truck, cars, sports balls, and items with the colors red, and blue, colors that culture sees as masculine. The process continues when children age, parents reward boys for playing in the mud, throwing a football, and so forth. Yet they respond to a son that cries saying, “you’ll be fine, suck it up.” Teachers and parents exhibit such actions not because they are told to, but because that’s how our culture and society portrays how boys and girls should be.
    Another part of psychological theory is the media role. Individuals today are overly influence by the media, whether it be the television, magazines, or other forms of media. Forms of media cause individuals to gain a certain perspective on how masculine individuals are supposed to act or look, and the same with feminine individuals. If more television shows focused more on aspects like the show Family Matters, where a father is the caregiver to his 3 children, and a working dad, cook, maid, and so forth. Individuals wouldn’t have such false visions of male and female roles.
    Along with psychological theory is cognitive development theory, which assumes that children play active roles in developing their gender identities. This idea focuses on the aspect that children seek out role models and mimic certain characteristics about those individuals that they seem fit their identity. This theory focuses on the media as well. Children see characters and people on the television, and in magazines and feel that’s how they should act as a boy or as a girl. Children and all individuals should be able to decide who they are and how they want to act for themselves, instead of having influences from parents, media, and our society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way Wood cautions readers before she introduces the various theories by saying, "...as we discuss alternative theories, you shouldn't try to pick the best one or the right one. Instead, pay attention to the limitations and insights of each theory..."(pg.43).
    I'm a really analytical thinker with a science background, and I really have to make an effort not to think in 'black and white' terms. At the same time, I love when ambiguity challenges me, (sometimes because it is so unnatural) and I realize that the older I get (or maybe just more educated), the less often I approach concepts in a binary fashion.

    I think something useful can be pulled from all of the theories, and I can see how limiting it would be to subscribe to only one.
    I'm naturally drawn to evolutionary theory, or sociobiology as Wood refers to it. This field of study satisfies my need to know why we possess certain traits, and it assigns all behaviors a function, which helps me to make sense of the world and the way people behave within it. Woods offered a criticism of the theory that it "fails to account for sexual behavior that occurs without the goal of reproduction..."(pg. 45), but evolutionary theory is also based on the idea that natural selection is a slow process that is always a bit behind our behaviors. In other words, it's possible that our sexual behaviors which aren't working towards the goal of reproduction may eventually be weeded out, since they don't serve a purpose evolutionarily.

    I realize that evolutionary theory can't explain all of our behaviors; no one theory can. Also, this theory, like most others, doesn’t seem to account for those who don't fit inside the traditional gender norm boxes that science condones.

    ...This is why I love reading about queer theory. It challenges all of those notions that we must be 'one way or the other,' and it is inclusive to all of those that fall somewhere outside or in between those two societal gender 'norms.' One of my favorite quotes from the chapter was in the queer theory section where Woods says "queer theory assumes that identities are not fixed, but are relatively fluid" (pg.62). This not only allows for each person to identify outside of the traditional boxes, but it also gives us permission to evolve, change, or reshape how we may identify in our one lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From this week’s reading I’ve noticed that the word gender has more then one meaning. The development of gender is important because it’s a crucial time in ones life where they truly learn who they are. There are many theories surrounding gender and how people identify to their own.
    One way that I believe gender exists is because of the social learning theory. The social learning theory states that one identitifies their identity by learning from others around them. This theory emphasizes on nurture, and you see continuous development. If you think about it when you’re a child you pick up on things you see around you, and that’s how you identify.
    Another theory that I can see in everyday life of how gender develops is symbolic interactions. Symbolic interactions is when people learn who they are and how they are viewed through communication. When we were kids we were constantly hearing all the things that we are and that we aren’t, whether it is from a parent or a sibling. When a child hears that they are smart or talented in singing for example they identify themselves as being a good singer or a smart kid. As a child and being a girl you identify with playing house and not rough housing because that’s what your told, and what others like you are doing. If you were to switch it around a little boy tends to play rougher and play sports because that’s what their told they should be doing because they are a boy and they shouldn’t be playing house because that’s what girls do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up thinking that what I now know as biological theory was the only explanation for gender differentiation. In other words, I thought that boys and men were masculine because of their genitalia, sexual characteristics and hormones and that girls and women were feminine because of theirs. It seemed evident that biology determines behavior.

    Gender roles communicated to me by my family were very rigidly defined. Even though my grandmother had a job, it was in a dress shop. Even though my father spent many years working in a famous restaurant, the one time I saw him prepare food was when my mother was sick in bed. I was determined to provide my daughters with a more expanded view of gender.

    We bought our girls baby dolls and stuffed animals, books and art easels, blocks and train sets. My husband and I don’t approve of the exaggerated sexualization of Barbie dolls, so we never bought any. But our household ended up with many of them, anyway, as gifts from friends and relatives. Our daughters didn’t play with these very much, but when they did, they frequently put the Kens’ heads on the Barbies and Barbies’ heads on the Kens and mixed the clothing all around. We and they found this very entertaining, and I suspect they did it, in part, because some of their childhood friends were shocked.

    I suppose I weave together biological theory, psychodynamic theories and psychological theories in my understanding of how gender develops. I no longer believe, as I did when a child, that biology determines behavior, but it certainly influences it. I also believe that what is communicated between family members about gender is very powerful and seems to have lifelong effects on our thinking and behaviors. What we learn from others about masculinity and femininity, how we work to become a competent girl or boy, and how we assume and change roles in adulthood, all seem congruent with my experiences.

    Finally, I was pleased to read about the standpoint theory. It is sometimes surprising to find that what seems sensible and evident is a theory that scholars have studied, written about and debated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wood’s “Theoretical Approaches to Gender Development” resonate with my personal recollections from school years on how gender develops in children. I believe that gender development is consistent with biological and cultural theories.
    The biological theory mentions multiple influences that affect the “basic” development of the gender. (I say “basic” because of my consideration of transgendered people). Chromosomes are the first identification of what sex we will be, how we will be treated based on that sex, and the gender we will be developing (not including the first chapter on sex chromosome ‘abnormalities’). As development occurs throughout the first years until the onset of puberty is when the changes begin to show between the sexes.
    In males, testosterone influences the amount of muscles mass, emotional and behavioral control (such as influences of dominating others and physical expression of anger), as well as changes cognitive abilities to decode nonverbal communication and object movement. When puberty started; my male classmates began to engage in behaviors that I had not seen before. They became more defiant with any adult, started enjoying roughing other males in the school (whether they were friends or not), especially when they started growing in height and muscle development. Gym class became an area where they started competing with each other. Sports were a dominant activity they passed the time with.
    With females, estrogen, controls the development of physical traits and different behaviors. Females tend to be able to listen more to each other and have better communication skills. Girls seemed to be able to make more communication with each other and spend more time together while doing it (extensively using their cell phones and instant messaging). As estrogen impedes the liver functions, those who partied, always complained of painful hangovers.
    Culture plays a large role in how that gender will develop.
    In the U.S., Masculinity and femininity are expressed in a dominant binary system (but not the only system), where boys are treated and girls are treated differently through social experiences.
    Male children are encouraged to be strong and dominant and be able to take on anything thrown their way. Through elementary school years, the teachers were constantly disciplining the boys in class, which then ended in timeout. When the girls got into trouble, we received a “talking to” in the hall. During physical education, gender team separation by a male coach. Most activities required hitting, throwing, running, or tackling. The girls would cry when hurt and told to sit out or go to the nurse. When all the girls were sitting out, all the boys would then get into their own teams and told to “play hard”.
    In many cultures, including the West, males must prove themselves through rights of passage ceremonies that separates them from childhood into manhood in the views of their community. For some of the males in my high school (not all), being able to drive a car was the first step in separating themselves from the others. Loosing their virginity sealed their status which resulted in them being referred to by his peers as “the man”.
    During the middle and high school, the girls tended to have classes that were based on the concept of what we “were supposed” to do: art, yearbook, and home economics. In high school, we were given more “opportunities” in sports. During track, we had an average time limit that would allow us to pass. Girls set average time was near 15 minutes, while the boys average set time had to be below 8.5 minutes.
    In many cultures, there is a binary sex/gender perspective based on biological and cultural expectation that must be met in order to “fit in” with the cultural norms of the society. Differentiating from these standards would cause changes in how you are viewed by others. Masculinity is primarily seen in the West as being tough and dominant while femininity is preferred and encouraged though “special” treatment reinforcing the gender roles of the sexes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with many of the posts so far. I feel that sex is what one is given physically and biologically, and gender is the way one perceives oneself to be, masculine or feminine. I also agree that gender is learned. How and where it is learned is where I turn to the theories that wood was explaining. I actually believe that how a child learns their gender is a combination of three of the theories that were explained: the psychodynamic theory, the social learning theory, and the cognitive development theory.
    The psychodynamic theory says that a child’s first relationship, which is usually their parents, influences their gender development the most. They look to their primary caretaker(s) to learn how a masculine or feminine would act. However, many of us know that the media had a big impact on children. They may look to the media to get further explanation of what is “feminine” and what is “masculine”. I believe that they learn these behaviors by imitating others and what they do. They then see what kind of behavior gets a more positive response, which is the social learning theory. However, I do also believe that the media and the relationships that a child has affects their gender identity so much because I believe that children want to actively develop their gender roles, as the cognitive development theory states. Children by the age of three realize weather they are a boy or a girl and that they will be this way for the rest of their lives. Once they realize this, I believe, as the theory states, that children actively try to learn what behaviors society matches with their sex.
    All of these beliefs though are general beliefs. Of course, I do not believe that this is how every child is, but it is a general belief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. M.Forbes
    Although complex all these theories come across, I think they all contribute equally valuable ideas about how gender is developed in human beginnings throughout life. To explain how I believe gender is developed I will use a few of the theories Wood discusses to support my ideas as well as personal experiences.

    Based on the readings, one approach to thinking about how gender is developed is taking ideas from the cultural and interpersonal theories of gender development from a young age, and I will use myself as the example to support this. When I was growing up I was very much influenced by my culture and relationships with my family. When I was born I had pink blankets and played with dolls that were given to me as gifts from friends, and these practices and influences were encouraged by my parents and by my community. As I grew older my mother also taught me things about my gender and I mirrored her actions about how to be feminine and was appreciated for that by my mom and grandmother. My grandmother in particular was also throughout my upbringing encouraging me to be a "lady" and act "lady like" and with good manors. As I got older, I would also help my mother good and go grocery shopping, but help my dad work in the yard and play sports. My mom and I would go shopping together and get our nails done, and my dad and I would go to boat shows and talking about soccer and computers. These are just a few examples of how cultural influences and my relationships with my community and family have influenced my gender as a female.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After working in a pre-school environment I do have to say that very early on most children have already completely identified with their sex. When I walked into the classroom for the first time I was very pleased to see that all the children were sitting around a table looking at their choice of book; because they are three years old “reading time” consists of skimming through the pages looking at pictures. As I walked over to the children to talk with them about what books they were reading I realized that many of the girls were reading books about animals and stories about girls and that most of the boys were reading books about transportation and dinosaurs. Already it was very evident that they feel into the society’s standards of what a boy should be interested in and what a girl should be interested in. Even during play time the boys raced the toy cars around the classroom while the girls played dress up or pretend baked in the kitchen. Watching these great differences between the boys and the girls made me wonder, at such an early age how do they know what they are supposed to play with or even who they are supposed to play with?
    The four types of theories for gender development and behavior seems to offer various explanations for how individuals view themselves and others in regards to gender. The theory that I have always agreed most with is biological theory. It has been proven that men and women have different levels of chemicals in their body and the layout of their brain is also very different. Certain chemicals like estrogen influence behavior which is usually linked to the most feminine qualities like being emotional and moody. Wood discusses that as men age their testosterone levels drop about one percent a year which leads to moodiness, depression, increased body fat and other characteristics which are more tied to women. I believe that the biological differences between men and women shape the way they view and respond to situations and the way they unconsciously think. For example, according to Gendered Lives, “in men, the amygdale, which is the center of emotions such as anger and fear, is larger, which may explain why men are more likely than women to engage in more risky and aggressive behavior”. For me, the phrase “it’s in their blood” stands true. However, biology cannot be the only leading factor in gender development and behavior.
    Interpersonal factors can also heavily influence development for men and women. The relationship between the child and their parents is extremely important and can have an effect on gender identification. My father is a pilot and is gone for a couple days at a time, so during my childhood my main connection to a person was through my mother. That very fact might be one of the reasons why she and I are so close now. T.Vs and movies always show the young girl putting on makeup with her mother and dressing up in her clothes, while the boy is always outside riding bikes with his father or fixing an old car. The relationship that exists between a parent and a child teaches the child either femininity or masculinity. When children imitate a parent they are pretty much learning early on how to be a girl and how to be a boy; and what is acceptable for these two genders.
    Gender is a very complex topic which is why it calls for many different theories and explanations for development. One single factor does not shape an individual but development into a certain gender identity requires a combination of biological, interpersonal, cultural and critical theories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading the various theories described by Woods, I can easily appreciate how any of those theories, and possibly more than we even know about, make up a person’s gender. I think it is important to note that Woods emphasizes that these theories only offer insight into the reasons that make up the gender and behavior of people. Another important fact she notes is that each of the theories has a different focus and by combining them we can get a better overall understanding. I believe it would be a mistake to rely solely on one of these theories to explain the makeup of an individual’s gender or behavior.

    In discussing my belief of how gender develops, I think starting with the biological theory is important. The biology of an individual is literally the basics of their existence and so I believe that we must first understand a person’s biology before moving on to the interpersonal, cultural, or critical theories. Woods explains the importance of sex chromosomes and how something like intelligence can be inherited from the parents. Hormones are another important factor that contribute to an individual’s gender. The level of estrogen or testosterone clearly has a significant effect on an individual. Woods explains that more estrogen can strengthen a woman’s immune system, but also reduce her liver function. In men, increased testosterone can produce violence and abusive behavior. Hormones can also influence the differences in behaviors between boys and girls. Woods states that sometimes women who had more testosterone in their body during pregnancy produces girls that prefer to play with trucks rather than dolls. Another very important factor about the biological theory is that it predetermines an individual’s brain structure and development. Woods states that this has a strong tie to sexes. Women and men tend to use different lobes of the brain. A good yet tragic example Woods uses is the case of David/Brenda. His biological sex could not be changed internally despite all of the physical changes, hormonal changes, and therapy. I think biology creates a very strong basis that will determine an individual’s gender as well as behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Continued...)
    The next theory I believe immediately follows and works with the biological theory is the psychodynamic theory. This theory explains that children learn from what they see in other people around them in their early childhood. These theory focuses heavily on the typical relationships between mothers and children. I think this is very clearly seen in a lot of relationships between mothers and daughters. Their relationship is typically closer than a mother-son relationship. Woods explains that internalization occurs and that the daughter defines her identity by fusing her relationship with her mother. I think the social learning theory also goes along with the psychodynamic theory because it focuses on individuals learning from the actions of others. A lot of times I have seen children imitating people around them as well as television. I think it is inevitable that at some point in a child’s life he or she will imitate some behavior he or she has learned from another. Woods connects the relationship between predetermined behaviors and social theory, “Although each of us is born with certain inclinations, it is our social world that amplifies or tones down those inclinations.” (P 51) Finally I think it is important to mention that culture has a very strong role in determining an individual’s gender. I think this also connects to the biological theory because it builds the basis for an individual’s gender and behavior, and then children learn from the relationships they have with parents and also imitate people around them. I think the culture theory just explains the setting in which this learning occurs. It is hard to ignore the fact that culture does in fact determine a lot of what consists of an individual’s gender and behavior. For example Woods tells the story of a girl raised in the Congo that even while living in America her she still strongly believes that a woman must marry one man and be loyal to him forever, despite any abuse or unhappiness. Other cultures also more freely accept and even encourage same sex relationships or double genders such as in the Dominican Republic and in some Native American groups.

    I think it is not very hard to find a connection between all of the theories discussed by Woods. I find the biological, social, and cultural theories to be the most predominant in contributing to an individual’s gender and behavior. Biology sets the stage for a male or female, and the experiences and interactions with other people that individual has from childhood through adulthood helps determine their gender. A good example of this that Wood describes near the end of the chapter is that women generally suffer from more knee injuries. Woods states that there may be a biological difference that often causes women to injure their ACL during sports, but there also may be a social factor. Dr. William Garrett explained to Woods that women and men athletes often hold their bodies differently. This is a factor that Garrett explains is usually learned through socialization and how boys and girls are taught to stand, sit, run, and act. This is a great example that ties in the obvious biological difference between men and women as well as the interpersonal and social factors that are learned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gender development is crucial at a young age and the theories I feel that weave together are symbolic interactionism and standpoint theory. Symbolic interactionism claims that through communication with others we learn who we are and how our culture views our identity. We learn from others how we view ourselves and are labeled. I feel this has most to do with gender development because our parents do tell how we should act and what to associate with from the womb. The interaction between peers in school and responses from the teacher of how a girl or boy is supposed to react and behave. Roles are also a major part. They are expected behaviors and values associated with women and men. I find that the interaction at such a young age is a major contribution to gender development. Society assigns these roles as well as assigning value to these roles. Standpoint theory notes that societies are made up of different groups that are organized in social hierarchies. It focuses on how membership in groups, such as those designated by gender, race, class, and sexual identity, shapes what individuals experience, know, feel, and do as well as how individuals understand social life as a whole (58). Standpoint already complements symbolic interactionism yet demonstrates that what group you belong to can shape development. The attitude and skills of a woman differ from that of a man. The attitude and skills of a white woman differ from that of a black woman. I feel this plays an important role in development because different groups have different attitudes, skills, and ways of thinking that help them understand social life as a whole.

    -Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.