Wednesday, January 27, 2010

M. Forbes Response #1

Prior to reading through the Wood text, I had a very insignificantly supported idea or concept of what gender and sex meant, and how they were similar and different in context. I understand now that sex is the term given to represent or identify a persons sexual biology, such as external genitalia and internal sex organs. Gender, which is socially constructed, is a term used to identify how a person expressed oneself or feels based on social norms or constructs. The most interesting part of this explanation is that "gender is learned" and a variety of factors and dimensions go into how a person identify themselves based on gender and the culture and society they were raised in, and live in.

I feel confident discussing my own sexual oritation and gender, but the topic as a hole gives me a little anxiety. It is hard for me to identity or relate to how a person would feel who is conflicted with their sexual oritation or gender conflict, but I am committed to exploring these dicussions in depth during the course of this class so I can become more aware and informed on these issues.

The one aspect of this text that I am particually interested in are the ideas of what is "masculine" and what is "feminine." Working in schools and studying education, I am particularly atune to how children interrept these gender roles and how our culture, society, and school system incourage these habits and charateristics. For example, other teachers I work with make jokes and comment when girls in my class play with the legos instead of drawing when they have the choice. I want to encourage this free choice play, but feel like I am walking up a steep hill of preconcieved ideas of how young girls and boys should act.

I look forward to exploreing these issues in more depth and gain more knowledge about them and try to come up with some practical applications to improving gender representation in school and my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.