In reading the essay Missing People and Others I was able to change my focus and connect with the author of the essay. An aspect that was most beneficial at first was the author’s explanation of his heritage. Stating "he does not fit into those mental sets that define America and Americans." Plus, describing his physical appearance, speech patterns, name and profession really helped to gain an understanding for the author as a person. A key point that the author discusses is how Americans view his race and how he is viewed as an “other”. In his descriptions of his hometown and the Americano around him I feel that I can really see into his life. And create a picture in my head of the town, his friends and family, and the Americans outside the town.
The background that the author goes through also helps to shift my center into the life that he lived, giving me a different perspective. The best example that helped me shift from my ideals was the paragraph on schooling, how schooling is more socialization than education. Because I can understand how schooling is strongly socialization I see how the author felt an other, and felt that he was different and was, “aware of being distinct, and conscious of being dissimilar.” The portion later in the essay on his denial and downplaying of otherness was a very true and common feeling for minorities. And as he mentioned these feelings were made clear when he attended UCLA, and found that Mexican-American students were invisible and the Mexicans that were present worked in food service and groundcrew.
Overall, the process that the authors mention using was very effective for me. Being that I am of the dominant race I find myself unaware of other peoples challenges with race. But with the authors explicit description of his history, personality, and life struggles I was able to shift my center in order to understand what being an “other” might feel like.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.